Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bognor Regis, UK

Greetings from the coast of England! I arrived yesterday, mid morning... which for everyone at home was very early morning. I thought the time difference between England and the U.S. was 6 hours. Low and behold, I was incorrect (this being the first of many misconceptions). The time difference in fact is only 5 hours, which honestly, I think makes for more difficult calculations when trying to figure out what time it is at home!

Anyhow, the drive from the airport (Gatwick) to Bognor Regis took about 1 hour. I decided to stay awake and look out the window, in order to enjoy all the beautiful scenery... many others decided to sleep.

The Bognor Regis campus is compact and cute. We are all staying in Longbrook Hall on the top floor which I'm going to call the Pent House. It's actually quite nice. We have a kitchen and sinks in our bedrooms. I'm living in a single and it's very comfortable. My internet worked right away which was a miracle. (I never have luck with setting my computer up!!)

Yesterday we registered with the University, got wonderful ID cards where we all have extremely fuzzy faces. They're great let me tell you. Anyhow, Julia, our coordinator, took us into town where many people bought cell phones. I'm holding out on a UK one for now.

Speaking of the UK, I realized this morning another one of my misconceptions. I just believed that the UK was part of Europe... I have been corrected when listening to the British speak about surrounding areas. The UK and the EU are different. Got it. I also think I've figured out that the UK has various names just as the US has various names and it's only confusing because I'm not familiar with the names.

This week is a transition week. I'll be making my first bus ride journey into my school on Friday to observe the classroom I'll be in for the next 3 months. It's all so exciting, new and interesting. I can't wait to explore this sea side town and beyond in the coming months.

Soon, I will post pictures... so look out for them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad your trip was a safe one, this is great! I can following everything you do :) I miss you <3

Dan Sturman said...

I miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's always good when the weather is at its best. Thats the thing with the UK, you can book these holidays and not really know what the weather is going to be like until you actually get there.

I've just been looking at the Butlins Bognor Regis holiday park myself because i'm planning on taking the kids away for a week next year to one of the Butlins site.