Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Live in Bognor, Teach in Chichester, Play in Windsor

Yet again, I have gone awhile without writing. I’ve found it difficult to find time to write because when I get home from school I have gotten into a routine of writing a lesson plan and/or an evaluation for the lesson that I taught that day at school. Needless to say, once I’m finished writing the lesson/evaluation and checking my e-mail, etc. I feel my eyes turning into goop from looking at the screen. Enough with the excuses! I’m not entirely sure where I left off last since I am unable to connect to the internet right now for some odd reason, so I’m trying this in Word. I taught a few more lessons last week and quite honestly, off the top of my head, I don’t recall anything that newsworthy to write about pertaining to what I taught.


Over the weekend, a group traveled to Scotland while a group of us stayed in England, aka Bognor Regis. I like having Friday as a go out to lunch, buy groceries, nap, catch up on work day. Our seminar barely lasts 2 hours and we’re out before 11, giving us plenty of time to cease the day. Last Friday I went to bed early because Chris, Danielle, Ashley and I decided that we would leave the dorm by 6:30am to get a 7am train to Windsor to see the one and only Windsor Castle. The train ride took about 3 hours, including a transfer we had to make along the line. We arrived around 10am and must have looked like we needed directions (go figure) because a man that worked at the train station asked if he could help us. I then proceeded to ask how to get to Windsor Castle and he motioned for me to follow him. Low and behold, the Castle could be seen right when you stepped out of the station, although we think we could have missed it if it hadn’t been pointed out to us because it was so foggy. To get to the front entrance was a cake walk and we got in with no problem and were in place to see the changing of the guards by 10:30am. Promptly at 10:58am the changing of the guards ceremony took place. We were all glad that we had gotten an early start that morning so that we could experience this event. In the fall it only happens every other day, so we lucked out! It was also a plus that we got there early because there were no lines to get into the Castle and various rooms although it was quite crowded. Another group from Penn State, actually from the International Floor arrived around 1pm… we later met up with them to take the train home that night. The Castle was gorgeous and I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the Royal Family. I’m extremely interested in Queen Elizabeth, Charles, Prince William, etc. I think I will look into finding some material so I can understand the family better. I couldn’t believe that that the Queen Mother lived to be 102. I think I knew she was old, but not THAT old! By the time the clock struck noon, the fog had cleared and there was blue sky all around us. It was even warm enough to wear just jeans and a t-shirt J We toured the Castle until about 3 and then made our way over the pedestrian bridge to Eton, home to Eton College, a prep school from boys ages 13-18. This is the school that both Prince William and Harry attended. We got a personal tour (FINALLY) and saw a classroom, the cathedral and the courtyard. No boys were there last weekend because they had a long weekend off. 1301 boys are enrolled this year and it costs a whopping 27,000 pounds to attend. Our tour guide also told us that even the Princes had to take the entrance exam. We ate dinner at a Italian restaurant in town by the Castle before heading back on the 7pm train. We got back to our dorm around 10pm and some decided to go to the pub on campus (which they later told me was DEAD)… I decided to stay in and read/watch greys and go to sleep.


Sunday I prepared my lessons, etc. for the week. On Monday I was observed by my link-tutor (she’s someone from the university that is in charge of observing me 3 times, completing 2 evaluations with me and my teacher, as well as the connection between the university and my school in case there were any concerns/problems I had). Thankfully, there are no problems in which my link-tutor needs to be informed about. I’m still unsure about some of the things my teacher does or the way he presents the material, but I like that we communicate well and that he takes my ideas and suggestions into great consideration and backs me on my plans. My observation was a great success. It was probably the best lesson I taught this semester, which is good because I was being observed!


Today I was began teaching a maths lesson (yes, math with an s, that is not a typo) and then 10 or so minutes into two women from a learning something or other company knocked on the door. It just so happens that my teacher forgot that they were coming to do an interactive literacy activity with the students. How frustrating!! Needless to say, I’m teaching the lesson tomorrow, from the beginning since the kids were not behaving well and could benefit from hearing the beginning of the lesson again. I don’t know what it is, but some days only a few are off, others all of them are off… must be that English weather. Speaking of weather, I have yet to use my umbrella on my walk to/from school. We all know that means that it’s going to pour tomorrow morning. Today was typical English weather. Damp and cold. Bleck. I’ve been spoiled with a whole lot of sun these past few weeks and am not ready for rain and cold. Today I also got to observe another year four class. I really liked her lesson and her kids are angels. It was nice to see another teacher teaching the same material and compare/contrast teaching styles. I had fun working with different students as well and giving them a chance to get to know me better. I hope I can work with them more as the semester goes on, just as a change of pace. I think I can also learn a great deal from their teacher, Kate. She’s the type of teacher I want to be and can see myself becoming.


That’s it for now. I’ll write once I get back from Dublin! Our flight leaves Friday from Gatwick airport at 3:25 and gets in around 4:45. The train ride from Bogor to Gatwick is about 1 hour, so we’ll have to jet right after seminar gets out to make sure that we catch the flight. I’m super excited to leave the country and see Ireland. On Dara and my agenda is the Guiness factory. If you are interested, check out the website. You can actually take a virtual tour, which is how I found out that the factory/museum is SIX floors. They even give you a free pint of beer. This would be more exciting if I actually liked Guiness… it’s too dark. Also, it’s not really free because there is an admission fee, but it’s still cool that you get to drink Guiness at the factory in Ireland on the 5th or 6th floor looking out over Dublin. I’ll let you know how that experience is when I actually experience it. I’ll be back in Bognor (hopefully) by dinner time on Sunday, just in time to get myself together for another week in the schools.

And right as I finished this, the internet came back to life. Good timing.

No comments: