Monday, November 17, 2008

Life as a Teacher in England

I had a fabulous weekend! My Friday consisted of a lot of talking to various people at Kingsham and at the University of Chichester about my mentor teacher and how things had still not improved since the last time I had talked with them. I think things have been sorted out because my teacher sent me quite a few e-mails this weekend, asked a great deal for my input and offered to read over and comment on my lesson plan tomorrow (which I took him up on). Anyhow, things are hopefully on the upswing at school for these last 3 weeks. Hard to believe there are only 3 weeks left with my 27 British children! I had a great Friday as well because 1- my teacher was not in, 2-the kids were not my responsibility until the afternoon and only for 1 lesson 3- I got to help the kids do printmaking! 4- I taught a Circle Time lesson about friendship/teamwork and it went pretty well. I love Circle Time!!! I think that's one of the things my teacher doesn't enjoy, so I'm glad that I can take that over for him :)

On Saturday Dara, Kaitlin, Ashley and I went to London. We split up when were got there... different agendas. Dara and I saw the Globe Theater (which is super tiny), but I'm not sure what I was expecting. Unfortunately they were re-thatching the roof so there was scaffolding all around the Globe. The tour was okay, but I really enjoyed the museum part. There was a lot to read about London's history and how Shakespeare played a role in the history. We then went one door down to the Tate Modern (free!) and looked around for awhile. I saw some Dali... Dara saw so Picasso, but I missed him, there is just so much to look at. After that we looked for a tube station that was actually operating and finally made it to Madame Tussuad's, the wax museum. It was such a great place! I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was glad I had a camera to take pictures with all the celebrities. There was also a amusement ride that I was not expecting where you ride taxis through a display of old London. All in all it was a great experience and worth the price. Dara and I got a buy 1 get 1 deal with our rail tickets. There are so many good deals that you can find if you just look. I don't think you ever have to pay the full price.

I'm going to be late for school if I don't leave now! Cheers.

No comments: