It's been such a long time since I last wrote. Honestly, I forgot that I even had this blog! Anyhow, I just finished traveling for 9 days. Nicholas came over to the U.K. last Saturday and we were lucky enough to have enjoy an entire week together, in England and Scotland with glitch-free traveling. We did so much over the span of 7 days and currently I am still in London even though Nicholas is back at home, safely I presume. I will be headed back to Bognor Regis, to the University where all my belongings await me to be packed and taken home on Wednesday. I'm super excited to be home and glad that tonight will be my last night in London and sleeping in a hostel bed.
To begin, Nicholas and I met up at the tube station by our hostel last weekend. It worked out very well. What an accomplishment! We hung out for awhile, waiting to check in. I most definitely talked his ear off which probably did not help with the jet-lag, etc. Anyhow, we then walked right down the street to the Natural History Museum. The building itself was much more impressive them the things inside. I felt that way about man of the museums that we saw over the week. The thing with the NHM is that it has so much in it that there is no way you could possibly see it all. Honestly, I wouldn't WANT to see it all anyhow. I've seen a lot of the things before as well, in various museums that I've visited in my lifetime, thus the reason it was less impressive. The only thing that was extra-exciting was that it was in London and I was there with my brother. We got sandwiches at the local grocery store and ate them at our hostel. We were in bed early, which occurred often this week because quite honestly, once the museums close and you finish dinner and don't want to go out to a pub for example, there is not much to do. I am obviously not opposed to sleeping since I am pretty much a pro at it :)
On Saturday we were up and at 'em... it's now slipping away from me as to where we went. Oh, yes now I do recall. We walked around Hyde Park and then went to see the Changing of the Guards. Dad had told Nicholas that this was awesome and a must see. I had seen it at Windsor and let me tell you, it was much more 'spectacular' if you will there. Seeing the COG at Buckingham Palace was a disappointment and a waste of time, yet we can say we did it and that's half the battle when traveling, doing things to say you did them! After we went to Churchill's Cabinet Rooms and Museum. This was both Nicholas and my favorite thing we saw over the week, exhibit/museum wise. It was very interesting to see what the rooms looked like during the war, especially since they had been left as they were when the war ended. I liked being underground and peering into the rooms. It felt as though we had been transported back in time. I think I also enjoyed it because I knew that Nicholas was loving it. I'm always a happier traveler when I know my fellow travelers are happy. After, we continued with the war theme and went to the Imperial War Museum. Best part, it was FREE!
Monday was another big day, thank goodness we went to sleep early. Nicholas and I went to St. Paul's Cathedral, which is impressive to say the least. I enjoyed looking around and just soaking in the sights of the architecture and design. We were able to climb up to the second dome of the cathedral and see the city from outside. This is the site of one of our TWO pictures together. We weren't able to go all the way to the top, I think it's called the Golden something or other because they were doing construction, go figure. Our second stop of the day, after eating sandwiches on a bench outside while our hands shook vigorously due to the cold weather conditions, was the Tower of London. I was interested in seeing the Tower because of King Henry and his 6 wives and all the wonderful things I had heard about other's experiences there, yet again the Tower was filled with too many war exhibits and artifacts! We were able to get a tour, given by one of the beef eaters, who I called a meat eater later when talking about it with Nicholas, in which I was made fun of for, go figure. Having personal tours are always great. I was getting so tired of those silly audio tours after taking quite a few in my travels before and luckily there was only 1 audio tour given in the Churchill Cabinet Rooms exhibit.
I am going to leave it at this for now because I am currently in an extremely noisy and hostile environment, aka the Internet cafe at the hostel I am staying at. I will write more when I get back to Bognor since I'm sure I'll have time to kill. I presume it won't take me 1.5 days to pack my things up. Tata for now!
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment