Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thursday is the new Friday... for now

I just got ready for school and it only took 15 minutes to make my bed, brush my teeth, wash my face, pick out my outfit and get dressed. Since it never takes me that long and I have no e-mail, etc. to deal with I thought I'd write.

This week felt longer then the last. It was not necessarily a bad thing, but after the school day ended on Monday I felt like it should really be the end of Tuesday. Luckily for me, I am only in the schools Monday-Thursday since seminars are on Friday. Tomorrow is our last seminar and next Friday we are on mid-term break. In our student books it says that we should be going into the schools full time next week, but many people's mentors have told them to take the day off. I had planned on going in next Friday to plan lessons, etc. for after half term because the teachers have an in-service. It may be beneficial to do my planning in the school since I am expected to teach 75% of the time once I get back from break on November 3rd.

It's hard to believe that I have almost been here for 7 weeks I believe it is this coming Monday! It feels so natural to wake up in the pitch black, eat breakfast and get on a bus under a sky that looks like it is going to pour on you any second. Funny thing is that it doesn't rain often here. Yesterday morning was the first time I walked to school while it was raining and actually, it was only drizzling a bit. There was no need for an umbrella BUT my hair did look awful once I got into my classroom!!

I was talking to a few England natives about the weather, asking them why everyone thinks it rains so much here. I had told them that since I've been here the rain has not been an issue. One of the men said that England, or maybe it's more particularly Southern England, has droughts often. Another... or maybe this was the same man said that the British just like to talk about weather. I can believe that, but I think everyone likes to talk about the weather because it's a topic that people can talk about safely. I have decided that whenever Americans come to England on holiday that it must always rain when they're here for only a week or two. These Americans then come home and tell everyone in the U.S. that England has horrible weather, that it rains all of the time and that they better pack appropriately before traveling there. Obviously, it's all propaganda.

I'm off to breakfast with Dara and Megan. I wonder what we'll have today? Oh wait, I forgot, I can tell you the menu and what everyone had without even going to breakfast!

Cheers!

1 comment:

Looking out..... said...

YAY! An update.....I've been waiting and waiting......(grin).

Tell us more about the food. Have you found something you love? Do you have the same thing for breakfast each day? What do you pack for your lunch?

Do the kids bring their lunches, or buy mostly? Do you have to monitor in the cafeteria?

Are you missing anything in particular - food wise?