Friday, October 24, 2008

Holiday is here!

As of today I am on 1/2 term break. No, it's not just us student teachers who get a break but in fact all of the teachers and students at our schools. The English school system is set up as 3 terms- Autumn, Spring and Summer. Since the kids, etc. don't get out for their summer holiday until the last week in July, they have week long breaks during the other terms. Basically, they go to school what seems like a good deal more then us Americans, yet I think it's only another 2 weeks when you work out the number of days students attend school here to the number at home. Anyhow, it doesn't really matter why I have a break, I just do and we can all work on accepting that fact.

I enjoyed my day off in Southern England today. Ashely, Skye (who is from Sweden, the town where IKEA was founded to be exact) and I all went to Chichester (where I teach) and shopped... I got a new dress of Italy on sale at H&M :) Then we saw High School Musical 3 where Ashely and I talked through a whole lot of it. That was until we were told by the British lady next to us to "Please not talk through the film." Ugh, that's the problem with kid movies, parents trying to control you. Okay, yes, I was seeing High School Musical, I guess I can't really make passing judgments on others.

I am almost all packed for my trip to Italy. I can't believe that almost 2 months have passed since I've seen U.S. currency or heard country music on the radio... the country music I don't miss so much though. I've found it really odd over here to think about U.S. currency. I know this may seem like a weird thing to think about, but when you've used one type of currency for 21 years and then all of a sudden start using another and get used to that it's hard to image the other. This is quite a confusing thought process. I think I'm just going to stop while I'm ahead!

I can't wait to update you all on Italy. Don't worry, I'll take lots of photos! Another piece of exciting news is that my brother is coming to visit at the end of the program for a week :) I am super excited and can't wait to start planning out adventures once I get back from my Italy adventure. Ciao. Hopefully I learn some more Italian over the next week and be able to wow you all once I get back.

2 comments:

Austen said...

Have fun, sweetheart!

Looking out..... said...

I for one can't wait for a full report of your Italian travels. The weather has not looked all that great, but I hope it was misleading!